In the Middle Ages Faenza was the crossroads between Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany, and the 15th century saw many Florentine artists working in town. In 1509, when the Papal States took control, Faenza became something of a backwater town. It did, however, continue its 12th-century tradition of making top-quality ceramics. In the 16th century local artists created a color called bianchi di Faenza (Faenza white), which was widely imitated and wildly desired all over Europe. The Frenchified faience, referring to the color and technique, soon entered the lexicon, where it remains to this day. In the central Piazza del Popolo, dozens of shops sell the native ceramic wares.
When there was every reason in the world to stay away and see the ruins, one woman traveled to Greece to get to work.More