- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Fodor's Italy 2014
Hotel Villa Cimbrone
At a Glance
- gorgeous pool and grounds
- stay where Garbo chose to "be alone."
- a longish hike from town center (porters can help with luggage)
- daily arrival of respectful day-trippers
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Villa Cimbrone Review
Suspended over the azure sea and set amid legendary rose-filled gardens, this Gothic-style castle was once home to Lord Grimthorpe and a hideaway of Greta Garbo. Its transformation into an exquisite hotel in the 1990s created guest rooms ranging from palatial to cozy—we especially love the small Peony Room, the only one in the castle with its own terrace overlooking the bay. A newer wing has a bevy of options with sea and pool views. Furniture, artworks, and vintage art books that belonged to the lord's daughter still grace the enchanting sitting room and 19th-century Music Room. The gourmet restaurant "Il Flauto di Pan" was awarded a Michelin star in 2012.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Trip to Sicily: March 3-22, 2014
My husband and I had originally planned a trip to Sicily for last September but, due to family issues, we had to postpone the trip until this March. Read more
I recently asked for some help planning a Europe trip and got such useful advice that I am back again!
I have a study course coming up in Pisa in May that I just found out about. I will be flying Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more