The Irish bus and rail network made great strides in recent decades, but recent cutbacks may see a reduction in service and routes. All urban centers and towns are now interconnected by bus and rail, and you shouldn't have difficulty crisscrossing the country in any direction.
But if you can, opt for a car—its greater flexibility, combined with the possibility of meandering down byways and country lanes, opens up a great many more vistas than any train will do. Rental rates are on par with most EU countries, and offices are located at all airports, ferry terminals, and town centers. During the summer months, it's wise to book in advance.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's