Golf in Waterville
Waterville Golf Links. Famously adopted by Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara to practice their swings for the British Open, this 18-hole championship links course remains one of the toughest and most scenic in Ireland or Britain, and as one of Ireland's top five courses, it is considered to be among the best in the world. Consisting of sand dunes, gorse, native grass, and sod-faced bunkers linked by firm fairways and carefully tended greens, Waterville is bordered by the wild Atlantic on two of its three sides. Gary Player described the 11th hole, which runs for 500 yards through majestic dunes, as "the most beautiful and satisfying par 5 of them all." Caddies must be booked in advance. Waterville, Co. Kerry. 066/947–4102. www.watervillegolfclub.ie. Fees: Apr.–Oct., weekdays €144, weekends €163. Nov.–Mar., €58. 18 holes, 7355 yards, par 72. Practice area, caddies, caddy carts, buggies, catering. Visitors daily, year-round.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's