- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Killorglin is on top of a hill beside the River Laune. At the "top of the town" is a Continental-style piazza, with outdoor tables in good weather and free entertainment in summer. (This is also the location of the tourist information office.) Venture down the hill to find an old-style traditional pub where you can savor a pint.
Killorglin is famed as the scene of the Puck Fair, three days of merrymaking during the second weekend in August. A large billy goat with beribboned horns, installed on a high pedestal, presides over the fair. The origins of the tradition of King Puck are lost in time. Horse dealing takes place in an open field on the first morning of the fair. In the village the main attractions are fun fair rides, street traders, street performers, free outdoor concerts, and extended drinking hours. The crowds can be huge, so avoid Killorglin at fair time if you've come for peace and quiet. On the other hand, if you intend to join in the festivities, be sure to book accommodations well in advance.
Killorglin at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Cork this May Fr $312+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Cork Fr $146+/Nt Hotels.com
- Save in Cork: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- 4-Star Imperial Fr $157+/Nt — $157 Save with Hotels.com, $32/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Cork this May Fr $137+/Nt — $137 Expedia