- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
Pay As You Please
Pay As You Please Review
If the touristy aspect of Killarney is bugging you, this is the perfect antidote; the sort of funky, off-the-wall joint you might expect to find in a backstreet of Barcelona, or Nice's student quarter. The USP here is exactly what it says on the tin: you pay what you think your meal was worth, putting the cash into a jar on the table. (No credit cards here). Turn off Main Street at O'Connor's Pub and up a pedestrian alley to find the warehouse-like room with its eclectic collection of tables, chairs, and sofas. Silent films are projected on one wall, and in good weather tables sprawl outside. The menu is limited, but fresh and strongly flavored: soup of broccoli, Cashel blue cheese, and walnuts in a bowl made of bread; or pizza with Serrano ham, arugula, and pecorino; or two-potato Massaman curry, beetroot, and walnut spicy salad; and for afters, home-baked chocolate or carrot cake. Wine is a very reasonable €15 a bottle (or bring your own for a modest corkage fee). Owners Robert and Barry are former engineers, pursuing their love of fresh wholesome food with an enthusiasm that has not wavered since opening in 2011.
- Address: The Old Milk Market, off Main St. (beside The O'Connor's Pub) Killarney, Co. Kerry
- Phone: 087/190–2567
- Hours: Lunch Thurs–Sun; dinner Fri & Sat. Brunch Sun.
- Website: www.payasyouplease.ie
- Location: Killarney
- No credit cards.
- Mon-Weds, no dinner Thurs & Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
We plan to visit Ireland from July 15 to July 29, and have read that we will certainly want lodging reservations in the cities. Read more
· News & Features
Navigate the chaotic street food scene of Ho Chi Minh City like a pro with our quick guide to no-fuss... Read more
Come for the beautiful architecture and stay for the vibrant local culture.... Read more
A look at ultra-luxurious airline accomodations and a fascinating visual breakdown of literary storytelling are... Read more