- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Pay As You Please
Pay As You Please Review
If the touristy aspect of Killarney is bugging you, this is the perfect antidote; the sort of funky, off-the-wall joint you might expect to find in a backstreet of Barcelona, or Nice's student quarter. The USP here is exactly what it says on the tin: you pay what you think your meal was worth, putting the cash into a jar on the table. (No credit cards here). Turn off Main Street at O'Connor's Pub and up a pedestrian alley to find the warehouse-like room with its eclectic collection of tables, chairs, and sofas. Silent films are projected on one wall, and in good weather tables sprawl outside. The menu is limited, but fresh and strongly flavored: soup of broccoli, Cashel blue cheese, and walnuts in a bowl made of bread; or pizza with Serrano ham, arugula, and pecorino; or two-potato Massaman curry, beetroot, and walnut spicy salad; and for afters, home-baked chocolate or carrot cake. Wine is a very reasonable €15 a bottle (or bring your own for a modest corkage fee). Owners Robert and Barry are former engineers, pursuing their love of fresh wholesome food with an enthusiasm that has not wavered since opening in 2011.
- Address: The Old Milk Market, off Main St. (beside The O'Connor's Pub) Killarney, Co. Kerry
- Phone: 087/190–2567
- Hours: Lunch Thurs–Sun; dinner Fri & Sat. Brunch Sun.
- Website: www.payasyouplease.ie
- Location: Killarney
- No credit cards.
- Mon-Weds, no dinner Thurs & Sun.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
OK, here's the start to my trip report. Read more
We (me, my daughter and family friend) arrived in Shannon with no problems. Read more
I am planning to spend a week in Ireland for the new year. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more