- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe Review
Massive, glacial rocks form the side of the Gap of Dunloe, a narrow mountain pass that stretches for 6½ km (4 miles) between MacGillicuddy's Reeks and the Purple Mountains. The rocks create strange echoes: give a shout to test it out. Five small lakes are strung out beside the road. Cars are banned from the gap, but in summer the first 3 km (2 miles) are busy with horse and foot traffic, much of which turns back at the halfway point.
The entrance to the Gap is 10 km (7 miles) west of Killarney at Beaufort on the N72 Killorglin Road. If you drive or are on a tour bus, stop here and either hire a pony and trap or opt to walk. Many people amble through the parkland until Lord Brandon's Cottage, where they get a boat back to Killarney town—a strong reason why many choose to do the Gap on an organized tour so they will not end up back in Killarney with their car 7 miles away at the start of the Gap.
Kate Kearney's Cottage. At the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe, Kate Kearney's Cottage is a good place to rent a jaunting car or pony. Kate was a famous beauty who sold illegal poteen (moonshine) from her home, contributing greatly, one suspects, to travelers' enthusiasm for the scenery. Appropriately enough, Kearney's is now a pub and a good place to pause for an Irish coffee. Killarney, Co. Kerry. 064/664-4146. www.katekearneyscottage.com.
Lord Brandon's Cottage. The gap's southern end is marked by Lord Brandon's Cottage, a tea shop serving soup and sandwiches. From here, a path leads to the edge of Upper Lake, where you can journey onward by rowboat. It's an old tradition for the boatman to carry a bugle and illustrate the echoes. The boat passes under Brickeen Bridge and into Middle Lake, where 30 islands are steeped in legends, many of which your boatman is likely to recount. Look out for caves on the left-hand side on this narrow stretch of water. 7 km (4½ miles) west of Killarney, Killarney, Co. Kerry. May-Sept., daily 10-dusk.
- Address: ,
- Location: Killarney
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hayfield Manor on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $279+/Nt Expedia
- 3-Star Jurys Inn Cork Fr $99+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Cork Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Maldron Cork Fr $127+/Nt — $127 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Explore Cork For Less! Book Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Cork Savings! Book at The Gresham Metropole Cork Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Expedia
We just returned from our 2 week jaunt through Ireland and Scotland! Read more
Hello- Warning, this is long.
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum for their help. I printed off several pages of notes that I gathered from here and they helped to guide us. (Esp to Tony2Phones, Read more
So I have already been to Dublin. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be ... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more