- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Faithlegg Golf Club. A perfectly manicured 18-hole parkland course, Faithlegg is set in the mature landscape of a 200-acre estate on the banks of the River Suir. Problematic doglegs, blind shots, and nasty sand traps make it a lot trickier than it seems on first glance. Faithlegg House, Checkpoint, Co. Waterford. 051/382–241. www.faithlegg.com. Fees: Jan. and Feb., daily €25; Mar., Apr., and Oct., weekdays €30, weekends €35; May–Sept., weekdays €35, weekends €40; Nov. and Dec., weekdays €25, weekends €30. Yardage 6,674.
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Club. Claiming to be Ireland's only true island course, Waterford Castle is completely detached from the mainland on a privately owned 310-acre island. Designed by Irish golfing great Des Smyth, the tricky but playable 18-hole course winds through mature woodland and features four internal water features in addition to the encroaching sea. There are plenty of opportunities to hit one into the drink. The Island, 2 km (1 mile) south of Waterford, Ballinakill, Co. Waterford. 051/871–633. www.waterfordcastle.com. Fees: weekdays €30, weekends €40. Yardage 6,372.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe