Designed in 1730 by Richard Castle—the architect who gave us the spectacular Powerscourt and Russborough stately houses in County Wicklow—this Church of Ireland structure has a handsome square tower and fortifications. In the north transept is a copper bronze memorial plaque to Susan Mary Yeats, mother of W. B. and Jack B. A beautiful stained-glass window commemorates William and Elizabeth Pollexfen, Yeats's maternal grandparents. Next door is the larger and newer
Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception (with an entrance on Temple Street), consecrated in 1874. Tours of St. John's can be arranged through the Yeats Society Memorial Building.
John St., Sligo Town, Co. Sligo, Ireland