A massive stone complex that is still redolent of "auld grandeur" and famed for its medieval tomb sculptures, Sligo Abbey is the town's only existing relic of the Middle Ages. Maurice FitzGerald erected the structure for the Dominicans in 1253. After a fire in 1414, it was extensively rebuilt, only to be destroyed again by Cromwell's Puritans under the command of Sir Frederick Hamilton, in 1642. Today the abbey consists of a ruined nave, aisle, transept, and tower. Some
fine stonework remains, especially in the 15th-century cloisters. The visitor center is the base for guided tours, which are included with admission.
Abbey St., Sligo Town, Co. Sligo, Ireland