The Northwest Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Northwest Restaurant Reviews
Donegal mountain spring lamb, Glen Bay lobster and crab, Donegal Bay oysters and mussels, Lough Swilly wild salmon, freshly baked scones, crusty homemade brown bread, and Guinness cake are just some of the delicious reasons why you will not go hungry traveling through the Northwest. Sligo Town has established itself as a sort of last stop for food lovers, with a number of food-related shops worth visiting. Newcomers are serving up well-above-average food in memorable settings, though the majority of restaurants serve plain and simple fare, such as traditional Irish lamb stew or bacon and cabbage served with generous helpings of potatoes (often prepared in at least two ways on the same plate. You're likely to find the finest food at the higher-quality country houses, where chefs elegantly prepare local meat, fish, and produce in a hybrid Irish-French haute cuisine.
Browse The Northwest Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's