The Northwest Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Northwest of Ireland
Gaeltacht Country: Venture to the seaside village of Ard an Ratha to listen to the seductive rhythms of locals conversing in full Irish (Gaelic) flight. Don't worry: everyone has English at the ready for lost visitors.
The Yeats Trail: From Sligo Town's museums head out to the majestic Ben Bulben peak to follow in the footsteps of the famous brother duo, W. B. Yeats, the great poet, and Jack B. Yeats, one of Ireland's finest 20th-century painters.
Garbo's Castle: The legendary screen actress was just one of the many notables who enjoyed a stay at Glenveagh Castle.
Hiking the Slieve League Cliffs: To truly humble yourself before ocean, cliff, and sky, hike these fabled headlands, the highest sea cliffs in Europe. The views will set your heart racing, and the Atlantic sea winds are sure to blow away the cobwebs. The cliffs are also the spectacular starting point for the newly designated Irish leg of the International Appalachian Trail.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe