- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Donegal Golf Club. Famously named by Golf World as one of Ireland's top 10 clubs, this is a course that has always rated high in the estimation of local golfers. On the shores of Donegal Bay and approached through a forest, the windswept links are shadowed by the Blue Stack Mountains, with the Atlantic as a backdrop. The greens are large, but the rough is deep and penal, and there's a constant battle against erosion by the sea. The par-3 5th, fittingly called the "Valley of Tears," begins a run of four of the course's biggest challenges, which could have you discreetly hiding your scorecard by the time you reach the 18th. Murvagh, Laghey, Co. Donegal. 074/973–4054. www.donegalgolfclub.ie. Fees: Mar.–Oct., weekdays €60, weekends €70; Nov.–Feb., weekdays €35, weekends €40. 18 holes. Yardage: 6,753. Par 73. Practice area, caddy carts, buggies, club rental, catering. Visitors: daily.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's