- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Silver Strand Beach. The Silver Strand Beach, or in Irish An Trá Bhán, at Gleann Cholm Cille lives up to its name. It's a beautifully enclosed small silvery-white sandy beach, quiet and hidden from view/visitor traffic. Peaceful solitude is the name of the game here but if your hair is standing on your arms it's because you're being watched; there are a few peeping sheep on the surrounding hillsides. When you've had your fill of sand and serenity, explore the ruined promontory fort, Dun Alt, directly above the beach. It was built around 300 BC, and archaeologists believe it was used as a defensive fortification when the community was in danger of attack. Amenities: small car park (no fee), short walk to nearby shop. Best for: paddling, swimming, walking, sunbathing, or simply hiding from the crowds. Gleann Cholm Cille, Gleann Cholm Cille, Co. Donegal.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe