- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The main N4 Sligo-Dublin road that skirts Carrick-on-Shannon carries heavy traffic throughout the day, but the town avoids serious congestion. There is ample free car parking in the Townspark area, between the Bush and Landmark hotels. An hourly metered charge applies for parking on the main street where a one-way traffic system operates. Sligo is an hour's drive west while Dublin is just over two hours southeast on the N4.
Seven daily Bus Éireann departures leave Carrick-on-Shannon for Dublin (airport and city center); journey time is 2½–3 hours, and the fare is €22 round-trip to the city center. Sligo is an hour's bus journey with seven departures in each direction Monday–Saturday (five on Sunday) and costs €13 one-way. Regular daily services from Carrick also run to Boyle, Longford, Mullingar, and Athlone. There is no bus station in Carrick, so the pick-up point is at the waterfront near the Landmark Hotel.
Carrick-on-Shannon's railway station is well served by Irish Rail. The town is on the main Dublin–Sligo intercity rail line and eight trains run Monday–Friday with a restricted service on weekends. From Dublin, trains take just over two hours to reach Carrick (€27.50 round-trip, Monday–Thursday; €39 round-trip Friday–Sunday). From Sligo, the journey takes 44 minutes and costs €13 one-way, €20 round-trip. The small station is on the outskirts of town, so if you're laden with luggage, you'll need a cab for the final leg into town. You can also catch a train from Carrick to neighboring towns such as Ballymote, Collooney, Boyle, Longford, and Mullingar.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe