- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
Bastion Bed & Breakfast
At a Glance
- healthy buffet breakfasts offer up cereal, fresh breads, fruit and cheese
- minimalist chic and no clutter
- historic character of neighborhood
- bathrooms are small
- no phones, TVs, or elevators
Check Rates from our Partners
Bastion Bed & Breakfast Review
An inviting glow hits you as you step into the long narrow corridor of this unconventional B&B, all nooks and little staircases, and with a high funky and fun quotient. Run by two brothers, Anthony and Vinny McCay, the Bastion occupies a former drapery shop. Simply and tastefully furnished with crisp white linens and comfy beds, this is an easygoing place to chill for a few days. You're spoiled for dining options, surrounded by Italian, Indian, Thai, Lebanese, and modern Irish restaurants as well as several pubs within a few minutes' walk on Athlone's left bank.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We will have 10 days to do some touring from the beginning of May.
We will depart from London and had been thinking to head north. Visiting York and heading to the Lakes District. Is this a good choice? Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more