- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Charleville Forest Castle
Charleville Forest Castle Review
One relic of Tullamore's former splendor is found on the southwestern edge of town, where, if you take the road heading to Birr from the center of Tullamore, you'll find a storybook vision in splendid Tin Soldier Fortress style: Charleville Forest Castle. Perhaps the finest Neo-Gothic, British-style 19th-century castle in Ireland, its Flag Tower and turrets rise above its domain of 30 acres of woodland walks and gardens. The Georgian-Gothic Revival house was built as a symbol of English might triumphing over French force (the French revolutionary forces, to be exact, who had become a little too cozy with the Irish locals). In fact, the floor plan is even modeled on the Union Jack. Commissioned by Baron Tullamore and dating from 1812, the castle is a rural example of the work of architect Francis Johnston, who was responsible for many of Dublin's stately Georgian buildings. The interiors are somewhat the worse for wear—most are gigantic chambers with a few sticks of furniture—but the William Morris-designed dining room still has its original stenciled wallpaper.
Descended through the Bury family, who eventually lost their fortune and left no heirs, the castle became an orphan in the 1960s but has been slowly restored. The surrounding forest is said to be haunted by the spirits of the ancient Druids. Guided tours leave every 40 minutes in the summer between 1-5pm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1165 -- Irish Cities & Scenery Tour: 7-Nts. w/Guide — $1,165 Sceptre Tours
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/Air — $1,428 Sceptre Tours
- $1351 & up -- Irish Escape: 7-Nt. Multi-City Vacation w/Air — $1,351 Great Value Vacations
Back a week ago Friday and am finally caught up, ready to start the TR.
Background: Some you have read my trip report of last year's journey to scatter Mom and Dad's ashes at the Lake of Menteith, tou Read more
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
We're going from DC to London on BA coach, and haven't been able to figure out how to check into their version of economy plus. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more