- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
MacNean's House & Restaurant
MacNean's House & Restaurant Review
Quality doesn't come cheap, but every bite in Neven Maguire's restaurant is a sublime taste sensation. No surprise—this is one of the best restaurants in Ireland. The five-course dinner menu, priced at €72, is an unhurried affair—it even comes with pre-starters and pre-desserts. Winning appetizers include an artistically presented study of shellfish, and a confit of Thornhill duck leg served with balsamic jelly. Top mains include rare breed of caramelized pork belly, fillet of dry aged beef, or sea bass. The Menu Prestige, at €87 (€132, including wine), delivers a staggering nine courses: your taste buds may never again experience such an explosion of epicurean delights. The five-course Sunday lunch at €39 is great value. Given the remoteness of Blacklion, mattresses may be as important as menus, so why not book an upstairs guest room when reserving a table to avoid a postdinner late-night drive? To meet the increasing demand for seats in his superlative eatery, Maguire has extended his accommodations from 10 to 19 rooms. Diners can choose from the original small rooms, or new spacious deluxe and super-deluxe rooms (which come at a price, but include such extras as bathrobes and slippers). As many diners have learned, the 65-km (40-mile) detour to Blacklion makes a lot more sense if you are heading from Dublin northwest to Sligo or Donegal, and also take in an overnight. But be warned: this restaurant is perpetually busy, and there's a waiting list of up to 12 months for weekends.
- Address: Blacklion, Main St., Cavan, Co. Cavan | Map It
- Phone: 071/985-3022
- Website: www.nevenmaguire.com
- Location: Cavan
- Jacket required.
- Reservations essential.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Jan. Closed Mon. and Tues. No lunch Wed.--Sat.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1165 -- Irish Cities & Scenery Tour: 7-Nts. w/Guide — $1,165 Sceptre Tours
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/Air — $1,428 Sceptre Tours
- $1351 & up -- Irish Escape: 7-Nt. Multi-City Vacation w/Air — $1,351 Great Value Vacations
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
As promised I am making recommendations for places as separate threads so that they will be easily searchable when others are looking for recommendations.
Pubs: (New Town)
The Queen's Arms (Frederick Read more
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A LONDON BOUTIQUE STYLE ,SEMI TRADITIONAL HOTEL LOCATED NEAR SELFRIDGES HARRODS , SUITE ROOMS .. THANKS Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more