- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
At a Glance
- huge rooms with space for moving around in
- a handy Midlands stopover, if you're on your way to the west coast
- the weekend disco in the nightclub goes on until the early hours, so bring your earplugs
- stairs can be difficult for the disabled or elderly
Check Rates from our Partners
Dooly's Hotel Review
This unpretentious country hotel began life as a coach house some 275 years ago and has retained its old-style homeliness. Floral patterns, open fires, and a relaxed welcome invite you in. It's in Birr's central square, and a five-minute walk from the castle. The bustling bar and coffee shop are popular with locals. For a more formal dining experience you could try the Emmet Room restaurant, where fish dishes such as medallions of monkfish or grilled salmon fillet with garlic potato are specialties alongside a selection of Italian offerings. Rooms have been refurbished to add some zest to this old staging post.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We will have 10 days to do some touring from the beginning of May.
We will depart from London and had been thinking to head north. Visiting York and heading to the Lakes District. Is this a good choice? Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more