- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
Glasson Country House Hotel and Golf Club
At a Glance
- an enthralling place to de-stress with woodland walks and boat trips all nearby
- strong winds whip in off the lake on breezy days—bring a sweater
- bunker discussions dominate the conversation at breakfast, so be prepared
Check Rates from our Partners
Glasson Country House Hotel and Golf Club Review
With views extending out to Hare Island and beyond to Lough Ree, this 1780 stone manor house has seen its popularity rise with golfers every year since 1993, when the welcoming hosts Tom and Breda Reid turned a 70-acre field into a challenging course. Stand on the third green on a sunny day and you can appreciate just why golfers love this idyllically sited, 18-hole championship course designed by Christy O'Connor Jr. A new driving range, with on-site tuition, was added in 2013. The hotel's wings wed traditional architecture with plate-glass and steel frames. Guest rooms are decorated in buffs and creams with beds with pocket-sprung mattresses and fluffy duvets. The restaurant offers winning dishes such as honey-roast duck with bacon champ. The Lakeview Bar serves snacks and bistro meals. Non-golfing visitors can avail themselves of free boat service into Athlone for shopping—the courtesy cabin cruiser transports shoppers for hourly trips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
We will have 10 days to do some touring from the beginning of May.
We will depart from London and had been thinking to head north. Visiting York and heading to the Lakes District. Is this a good choice? Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more