The Midlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Midlands
Stately Clonmacnoise: Atmospheric and still spirit-warm, this great early Christian monastery survived Viking, Norman, and English invaders over the centuries.
Green Mansions: While known for its rich farmlands, the Midlands is also home to stately homes and gardens, including fairy-tale Tullynally Castle and Birr Castle.
Hiking the Slieve Bloom Mountains: Dip in and out of the 20-mile Slieve Bloom Trail, ideal hiking country for those with a yen to rise above their surroundings.
Athlone: The restored 13th-century castle along with the quirky shops and Europe's oldest pub are worth taking time to visit.
The Treasure House of Emo: A quintessential landmark of 18th-century Palladian elegance, Emo—the former home of the Earl of Portarlington—has a spectacular rotunda inspired by Rome's Pantheon.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's