- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Beautifully reminiscent of an English country town with its tree-lined malls and well-preserved houses, the heritage town of Birr has roots that date to the 6th century. Still, the mid-18th-century Georgian building boom sets the tone. Birr Castle is the pièce de résistance and an ideal place to while away a morning or afternoon in an idyllic setting. For those who enjoy a riparian ramble, the Camcor River Walk opened in 2012, complementing the Active Age Park. Birr is also noted for its variety of festivals throughout the year, including the longest-running hot-air balloon championships in the world held at the end of September. Visit www.destinationbirr.ie for information on upcoming events.
Birr at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Midlands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's