- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Adrenalin junkies love the rope bridge—off the coast at Ballintoy in Larrybane—which spans a 60-foot gap between the mainland and tiny Carrick-a-Rede Island. The island's name means "rock in the road" and refers to how it stands in the path of the salmon that follow the coast as they migrate to their home rivers to spawn. The bridge is open to the public daily, weather permitting. More than 265,000 visitors cross it (or at least take a look at it) each year, looking down on heart-stopping views of the crashing waves 100 feet below. For an exhilarating cliff-top experience, the rope bridge walk is hard to beat. In 2012 the island's small two-roomed Fishermen's Cottage, where they mended nets and kept materials, was restored and opened to the public. The whole area is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest because of its unique geology, flowers, and fauna.
Hour-long guided tours take in the bridge and cottage and have priority—best to book in advance.
- Address: 119a White Park Rd., (8 km [5 miles] west of Ballycastle on B15) Ballintoy, BT54 6LS
- Phone: 028/2076–9839
- Cost: £5.60 to bridge; £7 for guided tour of Fishermen's Cottage
- Hours: Nov.–Jan., daily 10:30–3:30; Feb.–May, Sept., and Oct., daily 10–6; June–Aug., daily 10–7; last entry 45 mins before closing
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Ballycastle
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
OK, here's the start to my trip report. Read more
We (me, my daughter and family friend) arrived in Shannon with no problems. Read more
I've got a USA passport and know that i can get a entrance visa/stamp for 90 days to visit /enter Ireland. Read more