- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Royal Portrush Golf Club
Royal Portrush Golf Club Review
With its profile raised after hosting the British Open in 2012 and making Golf Digest's top 10 non-U.S. courses, Royal Portrush has confirmed its position as one of the leading courses in either Ireland or Britain. Darren Clarke plays his golf here when he's at home and it's where Graeme McDowell, former U.S. Open champion, learned his golf at an early age. The championship Dunluce course is named for the ruins of a nearby castle and is a sea of sand hills and curving fairways. Despite its understated appearance it poses many and varied challenges. "White Rocks," the par-5 5th hole, is quite literally a cliff-hanger. It's a wicked dogleg with the green perched on the edge of a cliff. "Calamity," the aptly named 14th hole, demands total precision to carry the ball over a huge ravine. The Valley course is a less exposed, tamer track. Both are conspicuous for their lack of bunkers. In a poll of Irish golf legends, Dunluce was voted the best in Ireland. In 2014, Royal Portrush is hosting the British Amateur Championships from June 14-21, and the course will be closed to visitors during this week and for several days prior to the event to allow practice sessions.
- Address: Dunluce Rd., Portrush, Co. Antrim
- Phone: 028/7082-2311
- Cost: Fees: Apr.--Oct. weekdays £145 (Dunluce), £42.50 (Valley); weekends £165 (Dunluce), £45 (Valley). Nov.--Mar. £75 (Dunluce), £42.50 (Valley)
- Hours: Visitors: daily (some restrictions).
- Website: www.royalportrushgolfclub.com
- Location: Dunluce Castle
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Dublin, Galway & More: 7-Nt. 5-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $1119 & up -- Ireland: 4-City Guided Tour, 6-Nt. Vacation — $1,119 Sceptre Tours
We just returned from our 2 week jaunt through Ireland and Scotland! Read more
Hello- Warning, this is long.
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum for their help. I printed off several pages of notes that I gathered from here and they helped to guide us. (Esp to Tony2Phones, Read more
I have two days to explore County Kerry (I know it's not enough time, but it's all I have available on this trip). Read more