- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Slieve Donard Resort & Spa
At a Glance
- appealing mix of luxury, history, and style
- renovations brought hotel into the 21st century
- fireplaces in lobby welcome on chilly days
- housekeeping slow with requests
- occasional cacophony from wedding receptions
Check Rates from our Partners
Slieve Donard Resort & Spa Review
A lavish redbrick monument to Victoriana, this turreted hotel, built in 1898, stands like a palace on green lawns at one end of Newcastle's 6½-km (4-mile) sandy beach—the traditional furnishings may make you feel as if you're stepping back in time to the town's turn-of-the-20th-century heyday as an elegant seaside resort, though the guest rooms have modern comforts and are bright and airy. Ask for a room overlooking the water; the views of the mountains and sea are striking. Amenities include a stylishly designed 16-room spa complete with saunas, amethyst steam rooms, and vitality pools. Dinner and Sunday lunch are served in the Oak Restaurant. Chaplin's Bar is named after a visit to the hotel by Charlie Chaplin, who enjoyed the comforts for a weekend in 1921. The Royal County Down Golf Club is next door.
- Address: Downs Rd., Newcastle, Co. Down BT33 0AH
- Phone: 028/4372–1066
- Website: www.hastingshotels.com/slieve-donard-resort-and-spa
- Location: The Mountains of Mourne
- 178 rooms, 6 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We encountered the "chip & pin only" situation in a phone store near Brown Thomas in Dublin. Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more