- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast Review
Dominating University Road is Queen's University. The main buildings, modeled on Oxford's Magdalen College and designed by the ubiquitous Charles Lanyon, were built in 1849 in the Tudor Revival style. The long, handsome, redbrick-and-sandstone facade of the main building features large lead-glass windows, and is topped with three square towers and crenellations galore. University Square, really a terrace, is from the same era. The Seamus Heaney Library is named after the Ulster-born 1997 Nobel Prize-winning poet. The McClay Library in College Park features a multistory open atrium, 1.5 million volumes, and the Brian Friel Theatre, named in honor of one of Ireland's most illustrious playwrights. The C.S. Lewis reading room on the first floor has a replica of the wardrobe door used in the film The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The Queen's Welcome Centre hosts a program of exhibitions and serves as a visitor information point. Guided tours are available but must be booked in advance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Dublin, Galway & More: 7-Nt. 5-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $1119 & up -- Ireland: 4-City Guided Tour, 6-Nt. Vacation — $1,119 Sceptre Tours
We just returned from our 2 week jaunt through Ireland and Scotland! Read more
Hello- Warning, this is long.
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum for their help. I printed off several pages of notes that I gathered from here and they helped to guide us. (Esp to Tony2Phones, Read more
I have two days to explore County Kerry (I know it's not enough time, but it's all I have available on this trip). Read more