Northern Ireland Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Queen's University Belfast

Queen's University Belfast Review

Dominating University Road is Queen's University. The main buildings, modeled on Oxford's Magdalen College and designed by the ubiquitous Charles Lanyon, were built in 1849 in the Tudor Revival style. The long, handsome, redbrick-and-sandstone facade of the main building features large lead-glass windows, and is topped with three square towers and crenellations galore. University Square, really a terrace, is from the same era. The Seamus Heaney Library is named after the Ulster-born 1997 Nobel Prize–winning poet. The McClay Library in College Park features a multistory open atrium, 1.5 million volumes, and the Brian Friel Theatre, named in honor of one of Ireland's most illustrious playwrights. The C.S. Lewis reading room on the first floor has a replica of the wardrobe door used in the film The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The Queen's Welcome Centre hosts a program of exhibitions and serves as a visitor information point. Guided tours are available but must be booked in advance.

    Contact Information

  • Address: University Rd., University Area, Belfast, BT7 1NN | Map It
  • Phone: 028/9024–5133
  • Cost: Free
  • Hours: Welcome Centre weekdays 8–6, weekends 11–4
  • Website:
  • Location: Belfast
Updated: 04-10-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories