Built on the profits of sin—well, by a generous wine merchant actually—and topped with a soaring Gothic spire, this church anchors the northeast corner of Parnell Square, an area that was the city's most fashionable address during the gilded days of the 18th-century Ascendancy. Popularly known as Findlater's Church, after the merchant Alex Findlater, the church was completed in 1864 with an interior that has a stark Presbyterian mood despite stained-glass windows and
ornate pews. For a bird's-eye view of the area, climb the small staircase that leads to the balcony.
Parnell Sq., Dublin, Co. Dublin, Dublin 1, Ireland
Jun 23, 2007
visit this church 11am on Sunday Mornings. Very friendly atmosphere. Tea and coffee after the service, plenty of folk to meet from many parts of the world. http://web.mac.com/abbeychurch