Dublin Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Four Courts Review

The stately Corinthian portico and the circular central hall warrant a visit to the seat of the High Court of Civil Law in Ireland. The distinctive copper-cover dome topping a colonnaded rotunda makes this one of Dublin's most instantly recognizable buildings. The view from the rotunda is terrific. Built between 1786 and 1802, the Four Courts are James Gandon's second Dublin masterpiece—close on the heels of his Custom House, located downstream on the same side of the River Liffey. In 1922, during the Irish Civil War, the Four Courts was almost totally destroyed by shelling—the adjoining Public Records Office was gutted, and many priceless legal documents, including innumerable family records, were destroyed. Restoration took 10 years. Tours of the building are not given, but you're welcome to sit in while the courts are in session; the locals often pop along to see some of the more interesting trials.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Inns Quay, Dublin West, Dublin, Co. Dublin Dublin 2 | Map It
  • Phone: 01/872–5555
  • Hours: Daily 10–1 and 2:15–4
  • Website:
  • Location: Dublin West
Updated: 02-05-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

Travel Deals in Dublin

View all travel deals
* Some taxes, fees additional

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories