Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
Powerscourt Townhouse Centre Review
One of the finest 18th-century mansions in Dublin, the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre has magnificent architecture, quality shopping, and an Irish dancing museum and show. Designed by Robert Mack in 1771, it's a massive edifice that towers over the little street it sits on (note the top story, framed by large volutes, which was intended as an observatory). Inside, there are rococo salons designed by James McCullagh, splendid examples of plasterwork in the Adamesque style, and a shopping atrium filled with high-quality Irish crafts shops, installed in and around the covered courtyard. The mall exit leads to St. Teresa's Carmelite Church and Johnson's Court. Beside the church, a pedestrian lane leads onto Grafton Street.
The Story of Irish Dance (jig.ie) is a combination museum and performance space dedicated to traditional Irish dance. The small museum houses old dancing costumes and a multimedia exhibition of the history of dance in Dublin. Jig is a 60-minute virtuoso dance performance held at 6 pm from Wednesday to Saturday inclusive, it includes a free museum visit. Hop Up is a combination performance and dance lesson where you can join in. It lasts one hour and takes place Wednesday to Saturday at 3 pm. You can even get one-on-one dance classes. Check the website for details.
- Address: 59 S. William St., Southside, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Dublin 2 | Map It
- Phone: 01/611–1060
- Cost: Jig €17.50, Hop Up €15
- Hours: Mon.–Wed. and Fri. 10–6, Thurs. 10–8, Sat. 9–6, Sun. noon–6; limited shops open Sun. Closed Jan.
- Website: www.powerscourtcentre.com
- Location: The Southside
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just returned from Magical Ireland with Smartours. Our first trip with them. No complaints at all. Great hotels. The tour guide and dri... Read more
June 2014. Day 1. Arrival at Dublin International Airport. The country of Shamrock lies there in front of us, waiting for a visit. ... Read more
Hi all! My sister and I (I'm 26, she's 25) have decided to embark on a euro-trip this coming May 2015. We would like to visit Engla... Read more