- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
Powerscourt Townhouse Centre Review
One of the finest 18th-century mansions in Dublin, the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre has a little something for everyone—magnificent architecture, quality shopping, and an Irish dancing museum and show. Designed by Robert Mack in 1771, it's a massive edifice that towers over the little street it sits on (note the top story, framed by large volutes, which was intended as an observatory). Inside, there are rococo salons designed by James McCullagh, splendid examples of plasterwork in the Adamesque style, and a shopping atrium filled with high-quality Irish crafts shops, installed in and around the covered courtyard. The mall exit leads to St. Teresa's Carmelite Church and Johnson's Court. Beside the church, a pedestrian lane leads onto Grafton Street.
The Story of Irish Dance (jig.ie) is a combination museum and performance space dedicated to traditional Irish dance. The small museum houses old dancing costumes and a multimedia exhibition of the history of dance in Dublin. Jig is a 90-minute virtuoso dance performance held at 1 and 6 pm from Wednesday to Sunday. Hop Up is a combination performance and dance lesson where you can join in. It lasts one hour and takes place Tuesday to Sunday at 3 pm. You can even get one-on-one dance classes. Check the website for details.
- Address: 59 S. William St., Southside, Dublin, Co. Dublin Dublin 2 | Map It
- Phone: 01/611–1060
- Cost: Jig €17.50, Hop Up €15
- Hours: Mon.–Wed. and Fri. 10–6, Thurs. 10–8, Sat. 9–6, Sun. noon–6; limited shops open Sun. Closed Jan.
- Website: www.powerscourtcentre.com
- Location: The Southside
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
I will be travelling with my 81 year old Mum to West Ireland from England. Read more
· News & Features
Ireland's capital city boasts a burgeoning food scene, stylish boutiques, swanky hotels, and an outdoo... Read more
So you went to Dublin for St.... Read more
Mixing modern design with a rustic Irish charm (no, really), The Marker is Dublin's hottest new hotel,... Read more