General Post Office (GPO)
General Post Office (GPO) Review
One of the great civic buildings of Dublin's Georgian era, the GPO's fame is based on the role it played in the Easter Rising. The building, with its impressive Neoclassical facade, was designed by Francis Johnston and built by the British between 1814 and 1818 as a center of communications. This gave it great strategic importance—and was one of the reasons it was chosen by the insurgent forces in 1916 as a headquarters. Here, on Easter Monday, 1916, the Republican forces, about 2,000 in number and under the guidance of Pádraig Pearse and James Connolly, stormed the building and issued the Proclamation of the Irish Republic. After a week of shelling, the GPO lay in ruins; 13 rebels were ultimately executed, including Connolly, who was dying of gangrene from a wound in a leg shattered in the fighting and had to be propped up in a chair in front of the firing squad. Most of the original building was destroyed, though the facade survived, albeit with the scars of bullets on its pillars. Rebuilt and reopened in 1929, it became a working post office with an attractive two-story main concourse. The 1916 Proclamation and the names of its signatories are inscribed on the green marble plinth. The little museum deals with the history of the building, and the role of the Post Office in Ireland.
- Address: O'Connell St., Northside, Dublin, Co. Dublin, Dublin 1
- Cost: €2
- Hours: Mon.–Sat. 10–5
- Website: www.anpost.ie/AnPost/History+and+Heritage/Museum/Museum.htm
- Location: The Northside