- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
At a Glance
- genuine country-house experience
- fly-fishing lessons
- dinner served (book in advance)
- way out in the sticks
- book at least 24 hours in advance
Check Rates from our Partners
Ballyvolane House Review
With Georgian splendor in the terra-cotta, gilded, and black Italianate pillared hall, and Regency coziness nonpareil in the daffodil-yellow sitting room, Ballyvolane offers a setting as elegant as it is charming. Although this 1728 stone house looks imposing, life here unfolds with country-house informality. Expect to find old fishing gear and walking sticks lying about and the family dog greeting your return. The spacious bedrooms are beautifully decorated with a rich assortment of antiques and heirlooms, but also display an unpredictable sense of humor—the tub in Roland's Room, in full view of all on a wooden pedestal perched to give a garden view, always raises a smile. The guest rooms look out onto wonderful gardens, with a 100-acre dairy farm beyond.
- Address: Take the R626 north from Midleton to Rathcormac and look out for signposts. GPS Lat 52.055, Long -8.188, Castlelyons, Co. Cork | Map It
- Phone: 025/36349
- Website: www.ballyvolanehouse.ie
- Location: Fermoy
- 6 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We encountered the "chip & pin only" situation in a phone store near Brown Thomas in Dublin. Read more
We are visiting Ireland and Scotland for about 8 days each in May 2014. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more