- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- genuine country-house experience
- fly-fishing lessons
- dinner served (book in advance)
- way out in the sticks
- book at least 24 hours in advance
Ballyvolane House Review
With Georgian splendor in the terra-cotta, gilded, and black Italianate pillared hall, and Regency coziness nonpareil in the daffodil-yellow sitting room, Ballyvolane offers a setting as elegant as it is charming. Although this 1728 stone house looks imposing, life here unfolds with country-house informality. Expect to find old fishing gear and walking sticks lying about and the family dog greeting your return. The spacious bedrooms are beautifully decorated with a rich assortment of antiques and heirlooms, but also display an unpredictable sense of humor—the tub in Roland's Room, in full view of all on a wooden pedestal perched to give a garden view, always raises a smile. The guest rooms look out onto wonderful gardens, with a 100-acre dairy farm beyond.
- Address: Take the R626 north from Midleton to Rathcormac and look out for signposts. GPS Lat 52.055, Long -8.188, Castlelyons, Co. Cork | Map It
- Phone: 025/36349
- Website: www.ballyvolanehouse.ie
- Location: Fermoy
- 6 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- Ireland and the British Isles IExplore
- $1165 -- Irish Cities & Scenery Tour: 7-Nts. w/Guide — $1,165 Sceptre Tours
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/Air — $1,428 Sceptre Tours
I apologize to those of you that are annoyed by a duplicate post, but it was a good suggestion to add the line breaks. Read more
Just back from two weeks in Ireland. Read more
Without a car would we be better off staying in Ennis or Shannon the last night before a 10:45 am flight out of Shannon? Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more