- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Many visitors head to Glengarriff because of that Irish Eden, Ilnacullin. On Garnish Island, offshore from Glengarriff and beyond islets populated by comical-looking basking seals, you can find one of the country's horticultural wonders. In 1910 a Belfast businessman, John Annan Bryce, purchased this rocky isle, and, with the help of famed English architect Howard Peto and Scottish plantsman Murdo Mackenzie, transformed it into a botanical Disneyland. The main showpiece is a wisteria-covered "Casita"—a rather strange-looking half-shed, half-mansion that overlooks a sunken Italian garden. Ilnacullin has a little bit of everything, from a Grecian temple to a Martello tower to a Happy Valley, all bedded with extraordinary shrubs, trees, and many unusual subtropical flowers.
You get to Ilnacullin by taking a Blue Pool ferry (10 minutes), which departs for the island from Glengarriff. George Bernard Shaw found Ilnacullin peaceful enough to allow him to begin his St. Joan here; maybe you'll find Garnish inspiring, too.
- Address: Garnish Island, Co. Cork
- Phone: 027/63040
- Cost: Gardens €4, ferry €10 round-trip
- Hours: July and Aug., Mon.--Sat. 9:30--6:30, Sun. 11--6:30; Apr.--June and Sept., Mon.--Sat. 10--6:30, Sun. noon--6:30; Oct., Mon.--Sat. 10--4:30, Sun. 1--5. Closed Nov.--Mar.
- Website: www.heritageireland.ie/en/south-west
- Location: Glengarriff
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Dublin, Galway & More: 7-Nt. 5-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Ireland and the British Isles IExplore
- $999 & up -- Ireland: Dublin Hotel & B&B Package w/Air & Car — $999 Europe Express
- $1119 & up -- Ireland: 4-City Guided Tour, 6-Nt. Vacation — $1,119 Sceptre Tours
We just returned from our 2 week jaunt through Ireland and Scotland! Read more
Hello- Warning, this is long.
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum for their help. I printed off several pages of notes that I gathered from here and they helped to guide us. (Esp to Tony2Phones, Read more
However, I don't want to be shut down by spam controls... if anyone is interested in further information, you could email me at green dragon at bell south dot net. It's a book I wrote about the myths and Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more