- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
An army town dating mainly from the mid-19th century, Fermoy was a major crossroads on the Dublin-Cork road (N8). The bridge that spans the Blackwater is flanked by two weirs dating from 1689. From mid-April to early July you can watch salmon working their way back to their spawning grounds. A few miles upstream on the same river is Castlehyde, a fine Georgian house that is now the home of the lord of Irish dance, Michael Flatley. It's easy to see why he was so charmed by the quiet, lush country that surrounds this famous salmon river.
Elsewhere in County Cork
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's