25 km (16 miles) northwest of Skibbereen.
The town of Bantry is situated at the head of Bantry Bay, between the Sheep's Head Peninsula to the southwest and the Beara Peninsula to the northwest. A somewhat unprepossessing town at first sight, Bantry is topped out with a large square that attracts artisans, craftspeople, and musicians to its Friday morning market in summer. If you approach Bantry heading west on the seaside road, before you reach town you'll spot the parking lot and visitor's entrance to the area's big attraction, Bantry House and Gardens.
Bantry at a Glance
Elsewhere in County Cork
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's