- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Flights to the Oileáin Árainn (Aran Islands) leave from Connemara Airport at Inverin, 30 km (18 miles) west of Galway on the R336, served by a minibus from Galway City (€3). There are hourly flights in July and August, and off-peak there are up to half a dozen flights a day. These flights call at all three Aran Islands. The journey takes eight minutes and costs about €40 round-trip. The airline will book a B&B for you when you book your flight. Ask about other special offers, including scenic routes, at the time of booking.
Aer Arann Islands (091/593–034. www.aerarannislands.ie.)
The West's most convenient international airport is Shannon, 25 km (16 miles) east of Ennis. Flying time from Dublin is about 30 minutes. Galway Airport (GWY) has no commercial flights at the time of writing, and is open only for charter business and private planes, but this may change as the recession eases. Connemara Airport at Inverin, which is 27 km (16 miles) west of Galway on R336, services the Aran Islands. Ask about transport to the airport when buying your ticket: there is usually a courtesy bus from the center of Galway City.
Aerfort Chonamara/Connemara Airport (091/593–034. www.aerarannislands.ie.)
Shannon Airport (061/712–000. www.shannonairport.com.)
From Shannon Airport you can pick up a rental car to drive into the West, or you can take a bus to Galway or Ennis. Connemara Airport (for flights to the Aran Islands) is 27 km (16 miles) from Galway City, and is accessible by shuttle bus (€3).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe