The Cliffs of Moher have a long and almost hallowed history. They were sacred in the Celtic era and were a favorite hunting retreat of Brian Ború, the High King of Ireland. Numerous seabirds, including a large colony of puffins, make their homes in the shelves of rock on the cliffs. Built in 1835 by Cornelius O'Brien—of Bunratty Castle fame and a descendant of the Kings of Thomond—O'Brien's Tower is a defiant, broody sentinel on the Cliffs' highest point, built
to encourage tourism (yes, there were tourists even back then). Cornelius also erected here a wall of Liscannor flagstones (noted for their imprints of prehistoric eels).
Found on the road from Liscannor to Lisdoonvarna (R478), the grass-roof, subterranean visitor center (and adjacent car-park) is built into the cliff face and is a good refuge from passing rain squalls. Note that there is no specific address for the Cliffs, which go on for miles, but you cannot miss the only road that gives access to the Cliffs, which is found on the main road from Liscannor to the north, a road which is heavily signposted. The visitor center interior imitates the limestone caves of County Clare and contains a gift shop, public toilets, and a tearoom. The Atlantic Edge exhibition features information panels and interactive consoles for children—the highlight is the Ledge, a vertiginous virtual reality tour of the Cliffs from a bird's-eye point of view. Outside the center extensive hiking paths (some with elevated viewing platforms) gives access to the real thing, including O'Brien's Tower (€2 extra for access to upper levels and O'Brien exhibit) at the northern extremity.
Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre (signposted on the R478 north from Liscannor), Lahinch, Co. Clare, Ireland