- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
Ballinalacken Castle Hotel
At a Glance
- fabulous location
- warm old-fashioned welcome from the O'Callaghan family
- not in fact a "castle."
Check Rates from our Partners
Ballinalacken Castle Hotel Review
One hundred acres of wildflower meadows surround this restored, low-slung Victorian lodge—built alongside the 16th-century ruins of an O'Brien castle (hence its somewhat bogus name)—making this one of the most memorably sited of Ireland's coastal inns, with panoramic views of the Atlantic, the Aran Islands, and distant Connemara. The sense of spaciousness is exhilarating, and manager Declan O'Callaghan reports that many guests regularly oversleep due to the quietness. The public rooms display a mix of comfy old armchairs and antique, baronial-style Irish oak, amid floral wallpaper and rampant pots of aspidistra. Guest rooms in the older house have massive four-poster beds, marble fireplaces, and high ceilings. Some large, sunny rooms have bay windows to frame that stunning view; nice but plainer rooms in the new wing, with antique-style decor, are equally sought after. The restaurant has an imaginative and sophisticated Continental menu ($$$$) where you can sometimes snag its roast loin of Burren lamb, but only with a reservation.
- Address: Coast Rd., about 1 km (½ mi) outside Doolin on the Lisdoonvarna Rd., Doolin, Co. Clare | Map It
- Phone: 065/707–4025
- Website: www.ballinalackencastle.com
- Location: Doolin
- 10 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Nov.–mid-Apr.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
I wanted to reach out to the lovely people on this board for some help with my Ireland itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more