County Clare, Galway, and the Aran Islands Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
County Clare, Galway, and the Aran Islands Restaurant Reviews
Because the West provinces have a brief high season—from mid-June to early September—and a quiet off-season, it doesn't have as broad a choice of small, owner-operated restaurants as do other parts of Ireland. Often the best place to eat is a local hotel—Gregan's Castle Hotel near Ballyvaughan, for example. But some places landmark the region, including Moran's Oyster Cottage in Kilcolgan near Galway City, where the fare is simple, served in traditional pub surroundings, but sea-leaping fresh. At the other extreme, are more dazzling experiments when you hit a grand blowout place like the superb formal restaurant at Dromoland Castle. For truly adventurous contemporary Irish cooking, head to happening Galway and you'll find it at such showcases as Kirwan's Lane, the Malt House, and Nimmo's: the town center is so compact you can meander around and read the menus on display outside before making your choice.
Browse County Clare, Galway, and the Aran Islands Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's