- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Galway is connected to Dublin by motorways M6-M4-M50 (four-lane highways with concrete dividers, some tolls), 20 km (129 miles) with a journey time of about 2 hours 20 minutes. There is a similarly good road to Limerick, the M18/N18 (100 km/62 miles), with a journey time of 1 hour.
Express bus services to Galway from Dublin are available from both Bus Éireann and Citylink. Both take about 3 hours 40 minutes from Dublin City Center. Bus services to Galway from Cork call at Limerick and Shannon Airport. Journey time from Cork is 4½ hours. There are also daily buses from Galway to Westport (1½ hours), Ballina (2½ hours), Sligo (2½ hours), and Belfast (6½ hours). For quick hops around the city, use a taxi, such as those of Big O.
Irish Rail–Iarnrod Éireann trains run from Dublin's Heuston Station to Galway City via Athlone. The journey takes 2 hours 10 minutes. There are trains from Limerick City via Ennis on the new commuter route, a two-hour journey.
At the time of writing there are no commercial flights to Galway Airport.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's