- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bus Éireann runs several expressway buses into the region from Dublin, Cork City, and Limerick City to Galway City (change for Connemara) and Westport, the principal depots in the region.
Citylink operates frequent buses, with up to 17 departures daily, between Clifden, Galway City, and Dublin and Dublin Airport. The trip costs €15 one-way.
Citylink also makes five daily trips in each direction between Shannon Airport and Galway City, costing €16 one-way.
Within Connemara and Mayo, bus routes are often slow and circuitous, and service can be erratic. A copy of the Bus Éireann Expressway timetable (€3 from any station) is useful for long trips. If possible use the website or phone the bus station (they are always very helpful) to plan local bus journeys.
Bus Éireann local buses travel from Galway City to Cong, Clifden, and Westport. There are no buses linking Cong, Clifden, and Westport: you must return to Galway City and take a different bus line out again to visit each place.
Ballina Bus Station (096/71800. www.buseireann.ie.)
Galway City Bus Station (091/562–000.)
Westport Bus Station (098/25711.)
Bus Éireann (091/562–000 in Galway; 096/71800 in Ballina; 01/836–6111 in Dublin. www.buseireann.ie.)
Citylink (Unit 1, Forster Ct., 17 Forster St., Galway City. 091/564–164. www.citylink.ie.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's