- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Ireland 2014
The Tavern Bar and Restaurant
The Tavern Bar and Restaurant Review
An outing to this traditional pub in the tiny village of Murrisk—at the foot of Croagh Patrick, just across the road from the seashore—is a popular excursion from Westport. Its distinctive, fuchsia-pink facade leads into a simple, family-run tavern where the emphasis is firmly on food. Carefully sourced local produce including Clew Bay seafood, Connemara lamb, and farmhouse cheese from the nearby village of Carrowholly are served in hearty portions. The bar also has a kids' menu. Connemara lamb sausages with spring-onion mash, or the house-special beef braised in Guinness with carrots, onions, and parsnips are two winners. Fishermen arrive regularly with freshly landed langoustine, which are then poached and served in garlic butter. Upstairs a more elaborate à la carte menu ($$$) is served in the restaurant, with a quieter, candlelit atmosphere.
- Address: Murrisk, 5 km (3 miles) from Westport, Westport, Co. Mayo | Map It
- Phone: 098/64060
- Website: www.tavernmurrisk.com/
- Location: Westport
- Credit cards accepted.
- Bar food daily. Restaurant upstairs closed Nov.–mid-Mar., and some weeknights mid-Mar.–Oct; call to confirm.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Below is my trip report of our trip in Sept/Oct 2013. Read more
For those not reading the long report ("Ireland with a Northern Twist"), here's a "visual" trip report--a link to the pix:
share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2QctG7hu0ZMXC Read more
I will be travelling with my 81 year old Mum to West Ireland from England. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more