- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bustling Oughterard (pronounced ook-ter-ard) is the main village on the western shores of Lough Corrib and one of Ireland's leading angling resorts. Boats can be hired for excursions to the many wooded islands studding the lakes. It is known as a fine center for exploring the beauty spots of the Twelve Bens, and other mountain ranges hereabouts, such as the Maamturk and Cloosh.
Oughterard at a Glance
Elsewhere in Connemara and County Mayo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's