- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Set on a narrow isthmus between Lough Corrib and Lough Mask on the County Mayo border near Maam Cross, the pretty, old-fashioned village of Cong is still as camera-ready as it was when John Ford's The Quiet Man was filmed here. Dotted with ivy-covered thatch cottages and lorded over by one immensely posh hotel, Ashford Castle, this tiny village continues to have a worldwide fan base.
Just two blocks long, and bisected by the chocolate-brown River Cong, the village is surrounded on all sides by thickly forested hills. Almost larger than the village itself is the celebrated luxury hotel found here, Ashford Castle, much beloved by billionaires and off-duty celebrities. It was once the country estate of the powerful Guinness family. A public footpath runs from Cong Abbey through the grounds of Ashford Castle and out of its gates and is a pleasant walk of about two miles—or you could opt to drop by for lunch or dinner, or even afternoon tea, to get a peek at Ashford's aristocratic interior. A still more romantic way to see the castle is on a boat trip run by the local Corrib Cruises.
Cong at a Glance
Elsewhere in Connemara and County Mayo
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe