Boat & Ferry Travel
Boat & Ferry Travel
It is possible to sail to Iceland on the car-and-passenger ferry Norröna, operated by Smyril Line. The Norröna plies among the Faroes and Esbjerg in Denmark, Bergen in Norway, Scotland's Shetland Islands, and Seyðisfjörður on the east coast of Iceland. Depending on your point of departure and your destination, the trip may involve a stopover of some days in the Faroes. Special offers for accommodations may be available through Smyril Line, and special fly-cruise arrangements are available through Smyril Line and Icelandair.
The town of Seyðisfjörður on the eastern side of the country is the arrival port for the ferry from Europe. It's easy a short drive to join the Ring Road and drive head either to the north or south from this quaint seaside village with 18th-century buildings and Norwegian-style wooden houses, either with a car rented in town or brought on the ferry.
If you need to stay the night, try the Hótel Aldan, a classic Norse-style wooden building with newly renovated rooms, Norðugata 2, IS-710. 472-1277.
or the Youth Hostel; it's closed in winter. Ránargata 9, IS-710. 472-1410.
There are also larger hotels in nearby Egilsstaðir.
The Baldur car ferry sails twice daily in summer from Stykkishólmur, on the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, across Breiðafjörður Bay to Brjánslækur, via Flatey Island. Ferries run daily between Þorlákshöfn and Vestmannaeyjar on the ferry Herjólfur.
Baldur (433-2254. www.seatours.is.)
Herjólfur (481-2800. 481-2991. eimskip.is.)
Seyðisfjörður Tourist Information (Ferjuleira 1. 472-1551. www.sfk.is.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Iceland Viking Challenge Family IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun IExplore
- Iceland Hiking Adventure — $1,395 IExplore
- Iceland: Viking Challenge — $2,099 IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun — $10,790 IExplore