At the Open-Air Municipal Museum, 19th- and 20th-century houses furnished in old-fashioned style display authentic household utensils and tools for cottage industries and farming. During the summer you can see demonstrations of farm activities and taste piping-hot lummur (chewy pancakes) cooked over an old farmhouse stove. To get to the museum, take Bus 12 or 19.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Iceland Hiking Adventure IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun IExplore
- Iceland: Viking Challenge — $2,099 IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun — $10,790 IExplore
- Iceland Viking Challenge Family — $2,320 IExplore
I went to Iceland last September for 10 days.
I've been a lurker for far too long! I would like to thank everybody on here for all your help regarding my trip and without all of you my trip would not have Read more
It took me awhile to post this but here is a trip report from our visit to Iceland in July of 2012. Read more
I'm planning a trip to Iceland in late July or early August and would like to spend a day paddling whitewater. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the ... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more