At the Glacial River Lagoon, about 50 km (31 mi) west of Höfn, you can see large chunks of the glacier tumble and float around in a spectacular ice show. So magnificent is the scenery, it has been used as a location for scenes in some James Bond movies A View to a Kill and Die Another Day, as well as Lara Croft Tombraider.. On the Breiðamerkur sands, west of the lagoon, is the largest North Atlantic colony of skua, large predatory seabirds that unhesitatingly dive-bomb intruders during nesting season.You can take a boat tour on the lagoon for about 6.200 ISK (adults), 3.900 ISK (children 6-16). See www.icelagoon.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
In thanks for all of the tips I picked up from other travelers, here is brief trip report. Read more
Ten dollars to the first person who has any idea what that title means.
I have always shied away from writing trip reports on the Europe Forum. They disappear so quickly and frankly don’t seem worth Read more
I am spending December and January in Europe by myself this year and am looking for some wonderful things to do that aren't the usual touristy attractions. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more