Þingvellir National Park
Þingvellir National Park Review
Þingvellir National Park, at the northern end of Þingvallavatn—Iceland's largest lake—is a potent symbol of Icelandic heritage. Many national celebrations are held here, and it was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004. Besides its historic interest, Þingvellir holds a special appeal for naturalists: it is the geologic meeting point of two continents. At Almannagjá, on the west side of the plain, is the easternmost edge of the North American tectonic plate, otherwise submerged in the Atlantic Ocean. Over on the plain's east side, at the Heiðargjá Gorge, you are at the westernmost edge of the Eurasian plate.
A path down into Almannagjá from the top of the gorge overlooking Þingvellir leads straight to the high rock wall of Lögberg (Law Rock), where the person chosen as guardian of the laws would recite them from memory. At the far end of the gorge is the Öxarárfoss (Öxará Waterfall). Beautiful, peaceful picnic spots are a bit beyond it. Just behind Logberg the river cascades down and forms the forbidding Drekkingarhylur pool, where women were drowned during the late middle ages.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Iceland Viking Challenge Family IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun IExplore
- Iceland Hiking Adventure — $1,395 IExplore
- Iceland: Viking Challenge — $2,099 IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun — $10,790 IExplore
I went to Iceland last September for 10 days.
I've been a lurker for far too long! I would like to thank everybody on here for all your help regarding my trip and without all of you my trip would not have Read more
It took me awhile to post this but here is a trip report from our visit to Iceland in July of 2012. Read more
I'm planning a trip to Iceland in late July or early August and would like to spend a day paddling whitewater. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more