Mývatn Travel Guide
Plan Your Mývatn Vacation
You could spend at least a day exploring this superbly natural area influenced by active geology; a fissure eruption occurred here in 1984. The area's "false craters" were formed when hot lava of ancient eruptions ran over marshland, causing steam jets to spout up, forming small cones.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in Mývatn
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Leaving the airport it is not long before it seems like we are on Mars or the Moon. Read more
In thanks for all of the tips I picked up from other travelers, here is brief trip report. Read more