At the Glacial River Lagoon, about 50 km (31 mi) west of Höfn, you can see large chunks of the glacier tumble and float around in a spectacular ice show. So magnificent is the scenery, it has been used as a location for scenes in some James Bond movies A View to a Kill and Die Another Day, as well as Lara Croft Tombraider.. On the Breiðamerkur sands, west of the lagoon, is the largest North Atlantic colony of skua, large predatory seabirds that unhesitatingly dive-bomb intruders during nesting season.You can take a boat tour on the lagoon for about 6.200 ISK (adults), 3.900 ISK (children 6-16). See www.icelagoon.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Leaving the airport it is not long before it seems like we are on Mars or the Moon. Read more
In thanks for all of the tips I picked up from other travelers, here is brief trip report. Read more
Going to Iceland in July. Read more
· News & Features
Crystal Cruises ships début in nine European ports this summer.... Read more
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching.... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more