- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The main routes into Budapest are the M1 from Vienna (via Győr), the M3 from around Polgár (southeast of Miskolc), the M5 from south of Kecskemét, and the M7 from the Balaton region; the M3 and M5 are being upgraded and extended to Hungary's borders with Ukraine and Serbia, respectively, and yet another motorway is under construction north from the M3 to Miskolc, eventually destined for Slovakia. Like any Western city, Budapest is plagued by traffic jams during the day, but motorists should have no problem later in the evening. Motorists unaccustomed to sharing city streets with trams should pay extra attention. You should be prepared to be flagged down numerous times by police conducting routine checks for drunk driving and stolen cars. Be sure all your papers are in order and readily accessible; unfortunately, the police have been known to give foreigners a hard time.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's